Saturday, February 25, 2012

Reef To Outback: 1 month, 2 weeks, 2 days

Time has sure flown by!  Can't believe it's been over a month since I stepped into the heat and humidity of Townsville, Australia.  It feels like it hasn't been long at all yet it feels like I've been here all my life...an odd combination-you can figure it out.

I just got done packing for my two week camping trip to Hidden Valley, Australia (had to pack every single thing I brought with me...downed a whole bag of candy throughout the process due to the stress).  As I was packing everything up I got really sad.  The thought of packing and leaving this amazing place-this great family of believers in just a few months brings great sorrow to my heart.

BUT I will not think about that now, because God has great plans for me in the time that I do have!
It's amazing how much I've learned and been strengthened through this time here at YWAM.  The wisdom and knowledge of the God fearing and seeking teachers from all around the world, that come to Townsville every week to give lectures, amaze me and make me hunger for more.

Here's what's been happening:

Week 1-Orientation... getting to know each other, fun cheesy activities, rules...blah blah blah

Week 2-Identity and Destiny...this was a big week of break-through for me. I'm a pretty insecure person... a lot of the time I just feel so chained down and trapped by them. Going over key principles and truths of how God sees me showed me:

~so many times we walk in these lies we have about ourselves and we forget what God says is true.

~it's so much harder to try to tackle these lies/insecurities alone; that it's a great thing to share with others what I'm struggling with despite what they may think of me afterwards - and truthfully this is what really brings us closer together; finding strength together in our weaknesses.

~not only looking at ourselves with God's truths but seeing others in these truths as well; looking at people through God's eyes.

Week 3-Clear Conscience...

~Was really challenged with the question: "Why do you believe what you believe?"

~I should not write off the things I don't understand... not all things are a mystery; search it out in God's word.

~Set boundaries in my life. I learned that boundaries don't hold me back but protect me and allow me to be free.

Week 4-Nature and Character of God... In this week I got a glimpse of what it means for someone to truly hunger and thirst for God's word - the speaker just engaged me in his love to read and search out truth and wisdom in the Bible.

~Challenged to go farther in my faith; to not settle for less than His best.

~To think for myself; to make my faith my own and make it strong.

Week 5-Relationships

~Before you find the one, you have to be the one ( So true! Sorry guys I've got some work to do)

~Don't assume the worst in people

~Indifference towards people is worse than hate-indifference doesn't even acknowledge the people God values and has great plans for (this hit me like a ton of bricks).

Week 6-Spiritual Warfare

~A question that stuck out in my mind-"If you were the devil how would you attack yourself, how would you try to make yourself fall?"

~Fighting against the strategy of the devil

(I got 17 pages of notes on just this one topic... there were a lot of great things learned this week but I'll stop here).

God has been doing amazing things in my life and the lives of others here at YWAM, I absolutely love it.

I look forward to bringing you all on this journey of walking and growing deeper in love for the one who is so worthy of our praise.

Eager.

mariah

1 comment:

  1. i love you.
    thank you for sharing :)
    enjoy my sleeping bag. i pray you feel all snuggled and safe.

    ReplyDelete